Thursday, July 27, 2006

Brad Miller is no Howard Coble

I grew up here in Greensboro. Somewhere in the early 1970's I remember Dad having his Green Valley tennis buddy, Howard Coble, to dinner. I remember because they had a grand time tryin to explain to my sisters and me why he was a batchelor. Howard, much like Jim Melvin, is one of the more popular local figures in Greensboro over thepast 40years. There are few longtime Greensboro residents who don't have some memory of meeting Howard at some point in their history.

Who in Guilford County knows Brad Miller? A few lefty bloggers, campaign workers, local media... anyone else? No, I'm not stumping for Vernon- not many know him either. My point is, why are we not producing homegrown talent?

How about John Kornegay, Joe Guarino or Keith Holliday replacing Vernon and Randy Kaplan or Art Winstead or Anthony Jones replacing Miller? Why not send more folks like Horace Kornegay, Robin Britt, Richardson Pryor and Howard Coble?

Comments:
I think we are producing plenty of local tallent Chip. Heck... look at me: Coble's seat is so going to be mine someday, lol.
 
you could! Coble , Melvin, Pryor and those others were not single minded, really were more well known civicly. Not suggesting you get off the soap box.

When you graduate, stay in one city, be active in a civic group, promote others' concerns and- from a voter's strategy point of view- don't be known as a gay advocate. A gay man can do it, not an advocate.
 
I'm afraid that no matter if I'm known as a gay man or a gay advocate, it will still be used against me by my opponent.

And LGBT issues aren't the only things I've ever advocated for either. I think that if I were to run, people would really like some of my more moderate views. I think a moderate candidate, even a younger one and a gay one, would have a great chance of winning a political race.

A lot of people are tired of the extremes (on both sides) and most people are moderate themselves. As long as a moderate candidate can servive the primaries, s/he will have a good chance in the general elections.
 
The truth is Coble is no more conservative than Pryor or the others. They are all good men. So are you.
 
You never mentioned what the explaination was to why Coble was single all these years. What was the answer?
 
don't know. he's a crusty, old bird. before he was a congressman he was a gruff, funny, friendly, homely guy. now he's a (locally) famous, gruff, funny, friendly, homely OLD guy.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]