Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Making Christianity Look Bad?

Can it be done? I suppose it depends on who you are looking at.

Lex has little respect for Jerry Falwell, which is understandable if you read Lex-or listen more than a little to Falwell. But in a comment he wrote, Lex said of Falwell, "He makes America look bad AND Christianity look bad, all in one rotund, loathsome, self-regarding package."

If we say that a person makes Christianity look bad, we are also saying he makes Christ look bad, because Christ can never be separated from Christianity. This is important, because rest assured, Jerry Falwell is a chosen disciple of Christ. My question to anyone who would say a person makes Christianity look bad is, "Why would Christ choose any person who was bound to misrepresent, embarrass, or rebel against Him as His disciple?"

The problem, and I say this with great respect for his writing ability and logic, is Lex's ignorance of what Christianity is and what Christ actually did for us.

This brings me back to why Christ would choose a man like Falwell. It is certain that anyone who looks very long at any Christian will get the wrong idea about Christ and Christianity. So why are you looking at Falwell, or me, or anyone else? I've heard and read enough of Falwell to know he very clearly points people to Christ above all things. I encourage us all- look to Christ for any true fulfillment.

Saying that 'so and so' makes Christianity look bad is the same thing as saying you don't. I have done it before. The truth is God will not be mocked. We are all rebellious- all of us.

Comments:
What makes you think Falwell is a "chosen disciples of God"?

Just because someone professes to be a preacher doesn't mean they are "God's chosen."

I mean... if that were true all the fake televangelists going after people's cash would be "chosen disciples of God."

And how do we know who is a "chosen disciple" and who isn't? If God told us on NBC Nightly news or something, I missed it.
 
Matt, I hope and trust your question is serious. I used the term chosen- not in a purely Calvinistic way- but I am sure as a person can be that people who accept Christ must also be chosen by Him. I was careful to say Falwell is a disciple, as am I and anyone who professes Christ as His savior.

Even a passing glance at the breadth of Falwell's writings and ministry will reveal a man who believes in Christ. We can argue over his political stands, speaking for others when he shouldn't, and other things but no one can deny his devotion to Christ.

As for televangelists, (I'd rather they all get off the air), many of the worst of them are also disciples. Look at Jim Bakker, (my b-i-l helped prosecute him), he wrote a book after his jail time- "I Was Wrong." I am not defending anyone- just pointing out that a disciple cannot embarass Christ. Since you cannot seperate Christ from Christianity, guys like Falwell can never be said to make it look bad.

False teaching is another matter. It is far more grevious, sinful and treacherous. Guys like Falwell are held to a much higher standard than you and me. I see you as a victim of of false teaching. I think you are drastically trying to justify your sexual inclination by finding those teachers who would tell you to follow that inclination because it is God given. It is a lie. Because of your faith in Christ, you are blessed with His Spirit and the ability to overcome your desire.

Sadly, you have chosen to embrace your desires over life with the risen Christ. My prayer for you is that you will devote yourself to Christ and see where He leads you.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]