Monday, July 17, 2006

This Greensboro Man Changes Lives

I have a dear friend- a remarkable man- who has suffered severe mental illness since childhood, (he is now 62 or 63). He's a published poet, managed to get a degree at UNCG over many years- not a small accomplishment for a person with schizophrenia, paranioia and manic mental illness. I can't share his name, because of his paranoia about the net- but if anyone reading this would like to meet him, your life will never be the same.

My wife tells me that people like my pal become fixated over condemnation. In all the years I've known him, he has 3 major concerns or fears. Fear he will be sent to Butner, (or permanently institutionalized). Fear his extended family will gain control of the trust funds his Dad set up for him- and send him to Butner. (They've actually attempted this- and caused him great harm by playing on his anxiety.) And most important to him, his salvation.

He has to be constantly reassured about his faith. He'll ask me things like, "As we're talking now, do you feel the Holy Spirit talking to you about me? What do you fell Him saying?" or "I've been angry at God and I fear for my salvation, do you think I'm forgiven?" Once he said, "I've blasphemed against the Holy Spirit this morning, I've asked God to forgive me- do you feel like He will?- My response is always the same- You are going to be heaven one day. Pal- your salvation is sealed in Christ! You and I cannot change God and He has chosen us both!

Recently we had lunch at his favorite haunt- K&W at Friendly Center. He used to live within walking distance, but moved near me on North Elm last year. I directed him to right line- and as soon as we turned the corner to be served- a chorous of cheerful hellos greeted him. They all knew his name- even though it had been a year since he'd last visited. They were all so pleased he had chosen their side- they knew he preferred the left line! Word got to the left line he was there and he was quickly summoned. At 12:00pm the 'roast beef slicer on the left stopped the line while she prayed with my friend!

Here is one sick man, often lonely, always afraid, but whom God has chosen as His vessel to bless the lives of all the people he meets just by being himself.

Comments:
Cool Story.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]