Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"Dad, what are the highlights of your marraige?"

Just got back from Chapel Hill where my 20 year old is beginning her sophomore year at Carolina. At lunch, she popped that question on me. I was, (still am), taken back by it.

Her actual question was, "what are some of the best memories or moments you and mom have shared?'' But that is to long for a title.

My immediate response was to remind her that Elizabeth and I had to hire a baby sitter on our first anniversery, (we were married 6/17/78). "Of course," I said, "most of the highlights revolved around each of you." (We have 3 children, 27, 24, 20). But I knew that wasn't an answer to her question. I honestly couldn't come up with specific memories, so I said "your mom and I are blessed to have been mostly passionate towards each other. We may fight often, but we do have a passionate love for each other."

That seemed good enough, at least for lunch. But when I repeated all of this to Elizabeth, she remarked how powerful and important our relationship with each other is to our children.

Many years ago my friend and mentor, Frank Brock, passed along this bit of wisdom to me, "If you want to love your kids, love your wife." I have repeated it as a toast at every rehearsal dinner for 25 years.

Comments:
very cool
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]