Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Mega Best Seller From The Past- Still Worth Reading

I almost hate to link to her bio- she is one of the most talented and gripping authors I've ever read. Two books I know of sold more than 5 million copies each, her best selling work sold over 16 million copies!

Sometimes a label or category prejudices would-be readers. For instance, though I read alot, I rarely choose to read romantic novels, most westerns, police novels, self help books, Christian books, theology or philosophy books. So unless someone puts one of these books in my hand and explains why I must read it, a book in those categories stands a snowball's chance in hell of my reading it.

That was the case when a friend of mine put the biography of Peter Marshall in my hand. The book, A Man called Peter by Catherine Marshall, (Marshall's wife), had a tremendous impact on our parents' generation. A mediocre movie was made in 1955. I say mediocre in this respect- Catherine Marshall was a remarkably descriptive writer who's gift for communicating her characters' motivations, ambitions and behaviors is on a level, if not beyond that of Pat Conroy and Thomas Wolfe. If you read Prince of Tides and Bonfire of the Vanities, you will be sorely dissapointed in those movies.

So here is why you should read A Man Called Peter - even if you could care less about faith.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]