Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Most Romantic Place On Earth?


In 1998 Elizabeth and I celebrated our 2oth anniversy. Leading up to it, I called a young friend who had just returned from his honeymoon and asked, "how much does a honeymoon cost?" About $3-4 thousand he reckoned.

I was fortunate to have some excess inventory from a small business I had closed. I sold it for $4ooo and started searching for places to go.

Somehow I managed to find an older travel agent who had worked for Pan Am for over 30 years. I had assumed we'd end up in the Carribean or Europe, but when she discovered that Elizabeth loved romantic places, she asked me to trust her.

She said she'd travelled the entire world and stayed in some of most of the world's 5 star resorts, but she still marvelled over the magnificent beauty and romance of the Canadian Rockies in the Banff National Forest. "There is nothing like it for romance, you are surrounded by beauty at all times." she claimed.

The highlight of our September trip was our 4 day stay at the Jasper Park Lodge. I mention this because it has since been bought by Fairmont. We had our own 2 room cabin with a real fire place. Twice a day wood was delivered via bicycle. Each cabin had its own deck on the blue-green waters of Lake Jasper. It was mating season for the Elk, which meant strange cries in the night, harsh shrieks during the day and it was not unusual to be chased to your cabin by a bull when you walked backed from the lake.

Our travel agent had us stay 2 nights at the castle like hotel overlooking Lake Louise. We canoed and hiked, but the cramped room made us long for Jasper Park.

Comments:
Been to both. I wouldn't say it's the most romantic at all, but it's a beautiful area. From a beauty standpoint, I prefer Lake Louise, but not the Chateau (which is what you're thinking of owned by Fairmont).

Banff is okay, but in my opinion the Virgin Islands are better. I suppose it depends on if you're more into the woodsy type of romance or the sun/sand type.
 
What I meant to say is that the Chateau is also owned by Fairmont. oops. my bad.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]