Sunday, September 10, 2006

No Room For Spouses

Fecund wisely waves off Converge South Dinners. His reason? Its a bad idea for wives to collude.

The first time I met Hogg was at a Grimsley game last fall. Now my wife and I are social creatures, so when I pointed to a handsome guy with a grey bufont and blurted "Hey- that must be David Hoggard," her natural reaction was- "Oh good, is he a friend from high school?" To which I murmered, "Oh sh..." I was not allowed to discuss blogging in Elizabeth's presence. I now had to introduce Elizabeth and myself to the Hoggards without a frame of reference. Almost a year later I still have to be guarded about my blogging with Elizabeth, but Hogg can testify that I've become much smoother at introducing him without bringing up blogging.

Years ago I learned the wisdom of avoiding certain social events with some people. In the early 80's I worked as agent for Northwestern Mutual with 5 other young men. We were competitive, opinionated and broke- all of which led to long hours together- which leads to way to much personal knowlege about each other's marraiges.

We decided to form a caravan of our 6 families and make a special trip to NML's annual meeting in Milwaukee, Wisconson. As fate would have it, our only dinner together came on the same night we'd arrived, (a 700 mile trip). Of course we were tired. Of course we drank to much. Of course one of us talked to much. Of course we all paid a terrible price for our comraderie.

You know the rule, "what's said in the locker room, stays in the locker room."

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]