Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Words To Change Your Perspective

Yesterday I went to a citywide prayer breakfast honoring our local leaders to hear an old friend, Paul Lessard. He hit a homerun.

In his speech, Paul quoted from a paper his 17 year old daughter wrote when she was 15. It alluded to her greatest fear being that she would lose focus on Christ, her "magnificent obsession." Those two words, "magnificent obsession," have stayed with me.

I do believe in Christ, but is He my magnificent obsession? I hardly know what it means. I asked my wife, my best friend and son in law, and they all agreed it is a challenging phrase. Just considering its meaning has allowed me to view my life from a new perspective.

One of my mentors used to say, "if you believe there is a God, even in the smallest way, what else could be more important?" Think about that. My question for myself..."Why am I so pre-occupied with my career, marraige and politics- if I believe in Christ?"

As for young Taylor Lessard, it will be much more impressive if her obsession with Christ still has her fixated at age 25, 50 and even 90... I have no doubt this will be the case.

Comments:
For me "magnificent obsession" can be illustrated by goose bumps. Can you think yourself into having them? Concentrate very hard.....

Now...be in church and hear a beautiful song...the minister says somthing that makes it happen....a young person describes her faith as "magnificent obsession." and maybe you feel goosebumps...

I believe that when goose bumps happen as a result of examples like the above that our spirit is talking to us from not our brain but our heart. I can't speak for everyone but I believe my spirit/soul lives in my heart and talks to me by ...drumroll...goosebumps. When this happens and I am neither cold or hot I try to listen as I believe that my soul should be heard.

It's ok if you think that this is silly but wonder if you will think about it next time....smile.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]