Friday, October 20, 2006

Prayer and Faith in Politics

Years ago I had the opportunity to hear a young Fred Barnes speak about Christianity and the media. It must have been 1985, because he had just become famous for a question he asked as a panelist during one of the Reagan-Mondale presidential debates. He asked both canidates if either would describe himself as a "Born Again Christian?" (click the link to read the 1984 debate transcript.)

MODERATOR: We begin segment No. 3 with Fred Barnes.
REPORTER: Mr. President, would you describe your religious beliefs, noting particularly whether you consider yourself a born-again Christian and explain how these beliefs affect your Presidential decisions?...

...REAGAN: Well, I was raised to have a faith and a belief and have been a member of a church since I was a small boy. In our particular church we didn't use that term born- again so I don't know whether I would fit that - that particular term. But I have, thanks to my mother, God rest her soul, the firmest possible belief and faith in God. And I don't believe - I believe, I should say, as Lincoln once said, that I could not - I would be the most stupid man in the world if I thought I could confront the duties of the office I hold if I could not turn to someone who was stronger and greater than all others; and I do resort to prayer. At the same time, however, I have not believed that prayer could be introduced into an election or be a part of a political campaign, or religion a part of that campaign. As a matter of fact I think religion became a part of this campaign when Mr. Mondale's running mate said I wasn't a good Christian. So, it does play a part in my life. I have no hesitancy in saying so. And as I say, I don't believe that I could carry on unless I had a belief in a higher authority and a belief that prayers are answered."

Now the canidate's answers are not the point of this post, but Mondale's answer was extremely revealing as well:

MONDALE: "First of all, I accept President Reagan's affirmation of faith. I'm sure that we all accept and admire his commitment to his faith and we are strengthened all of us by that fact. I am a son of a Methodist minister, my wife is the daughter of a Presbyterian minister, and I don't know if I've been born again, but I know I was born into a Christian family, and I believe I've sung at more weddings and more funerals than anybody ever to seek the Presidency. Whether that helps or not I don't know. I have a deep religious faith, our family does, it is fundamental, it's probably the reason I'm in politics. I think our faith tells us, instructs us about the moral life that we should lead, and I think we're all together on that."

Interesting that it was Reagan who said, "I have not believed that prayer could be introduced into an election or be a part of a political campaign, or religion a part of that campaign."

For over 200 years politicians have used religion to influence voters during elections. And we know every modern day President, from Lyndon Johnson to George W. Bush have relied on prayer during key moments in their Presidency, (and at least 2 I am aware of- Carter and W -admit to praying and relying on prayer on a daily basis.)

Setting aside any judgement about any politician's use of Christianity or any other religion, there is only one reason faith plays a role in politics... millions of voters care about their leaders' belief in God.

It matters to alot of people. Why is that? Why do so many people want to know about their leaders' faith in God? It is a fascinating question...with too many answers. But the fact remains that sincere and insincere politicians talk about their faith because the people want to hear them express it.

Comments:
Interesting read. thanks.

I have not seen you posting anywhere for weeks. Why?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]