Thursday, December 21, 2006

Doing Good on Christmas

Christmas of 2001, we had just invested all of our money in a retail showroom and opened it the week of 9-11. Actually, we opened on that very day. We had carefully planned the one thing that was a sure bet to get the business booming, but we never figured on the terror of 9-11, followed by the myriad of stock market scams, illegal accounting practices and fraudulent behavior of Wall Street giants. We suffered, survived and eventually began to thrive- but I am writing this because it is the backdrop of that Christmas, and 5 years later, this Christmas.

In 2001 Elizabeth an I had carefully budgeted $600 to spend on our 3 kids- and agreed to give each other a hug. Somehow I knew Elizabeth needed more, she certainly deserved more. So the week of Christmas I robbed petty cash and borrowed from a line of credit, went to straight to Art and Martha Nading's fabulous "Extra Ingrediant" store and purhased a complete set of Denby china. On Christmas morning, when Elizabeth saw I had given her an enormous package, she flew into a rage and quit speaking... until she opened the present. Our daughter, Mary Mac, sealed the moment forever in our memories when she pointed at her smiling mother and exclaimed, "busted!"

Elizabeth is not shallow, but she needed a special gift that day, and more than that- I needed a gift that showed my appreciation, respect, admiration and adoration for her.

Alot has changed since that Christmas. Our business is solid. 2 of our kids are happily married, we have our first grandson, our baby is loving life at Carolina.

This Christmas Elizabeth needs another special gift, (and I need just as much to give her one.) But this Christmas I won't be able to borrow, we've spent 5 long years getting out of debt. I have no idea what to do and it makes me feel somewhat helpless. (There are many other more significant areas I fall short in as a husband, but this is a Christmas story.)

That is partially the background to the post about Psalm 37. I am left with one thing to do:
  1. Trust God
  2. Do Good.

So, after the previous post, I prayed to God about my concerns... and did 2 things I never do. I made up the bed and washed and waxed the kitchen floor. Merry Christmas honey!


Comments:
Merry Christmas.

You did good.
 
bet it meant alot to her...hmmmmm...sly grin...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]